Environmental Volunteer Program
We need environmental volunteer at our teaching farm to help us research and test new technologies; teach and implement sustainable agriculture practices within our farming communities.
Environmental Volunteer Position: Green Alternative Workers
Environmental Change for the Better
Environmental sustainability is of the utmost importance in all of our projects, and we must lead by example within our community.
We live and work on the same campus as the Warm Heart farm and Children’s Homes, 20 kilometers south of Phrao.
The farm consists of a large vegetable garden that helps us feed our 40 kids, cash crop orchards with longan, mango, papaya, banana, and lime trees, as well as chickens, ducks, cows, fish, and pigs.
Here we also house our coffee seedling nursery and biochar production center. We use the coffee seedlings to supply Hill-Tribe villagers with an economically and environmentally sustainable alternative to their current slash-and-burn methods of farming on the mountainsides.
The biochar offers Hill Tribe and local farmers an organic fertilizer to refresh their depleted soil and provides an interesting opportunity for future microenterprise initiatives.
Warm Heart seeks a hardworking Green Alternatives environmental volunteer worker to assist in the development of new environmentally sustainable initiatives, as well as to maintain and improve our existing programs.
● Maintain farm records, including planting dates, seeds/seedling usage, pest control methods, water usage, growth cycles, fertilizer usage, yields, costs, etc.
● Care for farm animals, including chickens, pigs, and cows
● Research and implement new methods to promote sustainability in northern rural Thailand.
● Participate in ongoing research inititatives.
● Collaborate with Thai and international staff to create an internal ordering and inventory system.
● Assist with other projects, as assigned (e.g. all volunteers are required to teach English for 2 hours of each week.)
● Desire to learn new sustainable methods.
● Willingness to withstand exposure to and work in variable weather conditions.
● Ability to think creatively and work with a diverse workforce, including Thai work staff, schoolchildren, and foreign volunteers.
● Background in agroforestry, sustainable development, or biodiversity preferred.
● Exposure to carpentry or engineering is a plus.
● Conversationally fluent in English.
Environmental Volunteer Position: Sustainable Agriculture
Biochar/Organic Fertilizer Worker
Deforestation, years of abuse and heavy use of agricultural chemicals have destroyed much of the natural fertility of Phrao’s soils and the annual burning of agricultural waste and forests creates smoke conditions that extract a terrible health toll in our community.
One of Warm Heart’s most important focus areas is therefore sustainable agriculture – teaching improved agricultural practices, developing new, organic alternatives to the chemicals that have poisoned the soil and water, and designing appropriate technology for the very small farmers of our community.
At the center of this effort is our biochar program where we are developing and testing organic, biochar-based fertilizers, designing low cost biochar kilns for use with different kinds of agricultural wastes and teaching farmers to make and use their own biochar fertilizers.
Warm Heart seeks a hardworking Biochar Project environmental volunteer worker to assist in the development of new fertilizers, the design of new technologies and the dissemination of knowledge about sustainable agriculture.
• Manage biochar production and maintenance of kilns.
• Manage production of current biochar-based fertilizers.
• Assist in the development and testing of new fertilizers.
• Assist in the design/improvement of kilns and other equipment.
• Assist in field trainings at the Warm Heart farm, the Warm Heart demonstration farm and in villages.
• Research and implement new methods to promote sustainability in northern rural Thailand
• Assist with other projects, as assigned (e.g. volunteers are required to teach English for 2 hours of each week)
• Desire to learn
• Willingness to work hard under tough weather conditions (hot season or monsoon)
• Ability to think creatively and work with a diverse workforce, including Thai work staff, schoolchildren, and foreign volunteers
• Background in agroforestry, agronomy, biodiversity, ecology, permaculture, soil science, sustainable development preferred
• Welding training and/or experience a plus
• Carpentry training and/or experience a plus
• Engineering training and/or experience a plus
• Conversationally fluent in English