Environmental Change for the Better
Environmental sustainability is of the utmost importance in all of our projects, and we must lead by example within our community.
We live and work on the same campus as the Warm Heart farm and Children’s Home, 20 kilometers south of Phrao.
The farm consists of a large vegetable garden that helps us feed our 40 kids, cash crop orchards with longan, mango, papaya, banana, and lime trees, as well as chickens, ducks, cows, fish, and pigs.
Here we also house our coffee seedling nursery and biochar production center. We use the coffee seedlings to supply Hill-Tribe villagers with an economically and environmentally sustainable alternative to their current slash-and-burn methods of farming on the mountainsides.
The biochar offers Hill Tribe and local farmers an organic fertilizer to refresh their depleted soil and provides an interesting opportunity for future microenterprise initiatives.
Warm Heart seeks a hardworking Green Alternatives worker to assist in the development of new environmentally sustainable initiatives, as well as to maintain and improve our existing programs.
● Maintain farm records, including planting dates, seeds/seedling usage, pest control methods, water usage, growth cycles, fertilizer usage, yields, costs, etc.
● Care for farm animals, including chickens, pigs, and cows
● Research and implement new methods to promote sustainability in northern rural Thailand.
● Participate in ongoing research inititatives.
● Collaborate with Thai and international staff to create an internal ordering and inventory system.
● Assist with other projects, as assigned (e.g. all volunteers are required to teach English for 2 hours of each week.)
● Desire to learn new sustainable methods.
● Willingness to withstand exposure to and work in variable weather conditions.
● Ability to think creatively and work with a diverse workforce, including Thai work staff, schoolchildren, and foreign volunteers.
● Background in agroforestry, sustainable development, or biodiversity preferred.
● Exposure to carpentry or engineering is a plus.
● Conversationally fluent in English.