Biochar/Organic Fertilizer Worker
Deforestation, years of abuse and heavy use of agricultural chemicals have destroyed much of the natural fertility of Phrao’s soils and the annual burning of agricultural waste and forests creates smoke conditions that extract a terrible health toll in our community.
One of Warm Heart’s most important focus areas is therefore sustainable agriculture – teaching improved agricultural practices, developing new, organic alternatives to the chemicals that have poisoned the soil and water, and designing appropriate technology for the very small farmers of our community.
At the center of this effort is our biochar program where we are developing and testing organic, biochar-based fertilizers, designing low cost biochar kilns for use with different kinds of agricultural wastes and teaching farmers to make and use their own biochar fertilizers.
Warm Heart seeks a hardworking Biochar Project worker to assist in the development of new fertilizers, the design of new technologies and the dissemination of knowledge about sustainable agriculture.
• Manage biochar production and maintenance of kilns.
• Manage production of current biochar-based fertilizers.
• Assist in the development and testing of new fertilizers.
• Assist in the design/improvement of kilns and other equipment.
• Assist in field trainings at the Warm Heart farm, the Warm Heart demonstration farm and in villages.
• Research and implement new methods to promote sustainability in northern rural Thailand
• Assist with other projects, as assigned (e.g. volunteers are required to teach English for 2 hours of each week)
• Desire to learn
• Willingness to work hard under tough weather conditions (hot season or monsoon)
• Ability to think creatively and work with a diverse workforce, including Thai work staff, schoolchildren, and foreign volunteers
• Background in agroforestry, agronomy, biodiversity, ecology, permaculture, soil science, sustainable development preferred
• Welding training and/or experience a plus
• Carpentry training and/or experience a plus
• Engineering training and/or experience a plus
• Conversationally fluent in English